You would be spending around 1/3 of your life on a mattress! Considering that a mattress can cost anywhere from $700 to about $4000 it is wise to take good care of it to ensure longevity. My mother still uses mattresses over 10 years old ! The secret is to constantly pay attention to certain details. Some handy tips (from my mother !):
Rotating the mattress completely by 180 degrees increases its durability and comfort. This works because a mattress can take the shape of a body when you sit or lie on it. Rotating it completely gives it a complete “new mattress feel”. But make sure you do not do this very often. This should be done once in every 4-6 months .
- Do not keep the plastic covering on the mattress once you receive it. It not only makes the sleep uncomfortable but also restricts the mattress from breathing. Get rid of the plastic coverings as soon as you get them.
- Always use the handles to carry your mattress ands always carry it by its side rather than carrying it flat.
- Use mattress pads and wash them regularly; they keep the mattress dry and clean. If infants or small children are using the mattress do use mattress padding. You can get them in any mattress store..
- While using a King or queen size mattress make sure to use an appropriate frame and center support. This is also important for all your warranty claims.
- Always remember to replace your foundation each time you buy a new mattress. You may not experience the quality comfort from your new mattress unless you replace the old foundation.